Tuesday, April 21, 2015

How to Find a Lost Cat

I lost my cat Rosie last summer for nearly two months.   While she was gone, I learned a lot about finding lost cats.

First, I searched my home and yard using a flashlight and looking into every possible hiding space I thought she could fit into.  I left cat food and water outside for her and I moved her litter box outside so she would have a familiar scent to follow home.

I went to my neighbors to ask if try had seen her and to ask permission to check their yards and sheds.

I listed her with pictures on Finding Lost Pets, Kijiji,  Tabby Tracker, Craigslist, Facebook and Twitter and I asked everyone to share the information.  Finding Lost Pets also has a printable Lost Cat poster.  I put the posters everywhere.

I visited the local shelters with pictures of her and filed missing reports with them.   I returned to the shelters weekly to make sure her file wasn't pushed to the back and forgotten.

Rosie wasn't microchipped and she wasn't wearing an ID tag.  She should have been.   That was an error on my part.

One of my many trips to the shelter finally paid off because someone turned her in.   We were so relieved to have her home.

Once I had her home I bought her and the other cats new collars and tags along with the Loc8tor cat tracker.  It is a GPS tracker that hooks onto the cats collars.   I purchased it from Www.loc8tor.com   It has been a very worthwhile investment.




No comments:

Post a Comment